3rd & 4th March, 2018
SUZANNE CLOTHIER IN SYDNEY MARCH 2018
FROM CONFUSED TO CONNECTED:
includes DRIVES BRAKES & STEERING
Finding the paths to better dog/human relationships
It seems a simple goal: creating an enjoyable, mutually rewarding relationship with dogs. But like the proverbial brass ring, this kind of dog/human relationship can seem out of reach. No matter how many training books you read, no matter how many classes you attend, no matter which equipment and techniques you try, you find yourself still confused, even frustrated with a dog. In a forest of information, it's hard to find the path that will lead to better relationships.
This new workshop presented by Suzanne Clothier offers practical tools for finding the appropriate path to better dog/human relationships. As always, Suzanne's work focuses on keeping the relationship central, respecting the individual dog and human, and aiming for a mutually satisfying connection.
DECISIONS, DECISIONS! Suzanne will be using selected case history dogs (and their handlers!) to help attendees learn how to assess behavior, training & performance issues. While these are complex challenges to unravel, Suzanne's approach is based in simple Decision Points to guide choices for each dog and handler. Emphasis will be placed on:
- Observation skills - really seeing the dog and handler in detailed ways opens a world of understanding
- The geometry of body language - simple shape recognition deciphers critical meta-messages
- The Elemental Questions - questions and answers that reveal the dog as an individual
- The Think & Learn Zone - why arousal matters, why Goldilocks was right, and how to recognise and find the Think & Learn Zone
- Drives, Brakes & Steering – well suited for the job? Or out of control? Self control, self modulation, persistence and arousal
- Yes/No/Maybe So? - Using Decision Points and flow charts
- Transitions & Thresholds - Tipping points and finding the balance
- Volitional Behavior & Postures - what your dog can tell you about his internal state
WHICH WAY TO GO? Which path is the right one for you and your dog? First understand where you need to go! Suzanne’s new IF/THEN flow charts provide an exciting new approach to assessing the challenges and creating logical training priorities. Effective, humane and satisfying results are possible when we know where we’re headed, and how to select from the practical RCT techniques, including:
- The Auto Check-in (ACI)
- Really Real Relaxation
- Explicit Permission
- Skill Building & Thin Slices
- Effective Use of Rewards & Consequences
- Puppy Politeness Poker
Whether you are working with an advanced performance dog, a newly adopted pet or helping with clients' dogs, this seminar offers a wealth of information, practical tools and techniques to help handlers and dogs find their way to better relationships. Join us for an exciting weekend of thought provoking work with a variety of dogs. As always, Suzanne's sense of humor and compassionate approach plus her keen observation skills will make for a memorable and educational event.